Wednesday 21 January 2009

Holidays and School Days

We have just returned home from a week in Albany at the farm. Well, the kids spent a week at the farm with Granny and Gramps.

Jeff and I spent three nights there and three nights in a cozy hillside cottage with views down to the sea in the hills above Denmark. It was lovely to have so much time alone with my husband! We read books, watched the fourth series of The Office on DVD and visited a few wineries. I cooked dinner without hearing any whinging voices asking when food would be ready. And we enjoyed the luxury of a two person spa bath!

It was a great way to spend some of the last days before Jeff begins work as the Pastor of BCChurch and Joshua begins as a grade 1 student at KCCollege ("away-school"). Both of them have their introductory day on Tuesday in just less than two weeks time.

Our last night in Albany I didn't sleep very well, however. I had my first school-parent dream! Back when I was a teacher, I used to have back-to-school dreams (can't find the classroom, can't find the students, etc) and now, as a soon-to-be school parent, I am having back-to-school dreams again. This time it was about bundling Joshua into his uniform and getting him there on time. Probably stimulated by the snippet of back to school advice I saw on the morning news/chat TV program, which had actually given me a handy heads up for some things to remember (like the camera!).

I am torn between feeling relief at the thought of only having three kids to look after for most of the day and excitement for Joshua, and hatred at the school for what, in a burst of emotional irrationality, I think of as their tearing my son away from me. Hmm. I need to get a grip on my emotions before that first day. Otherwise I'll be crying more than he is! (If he does at all.)

4 comments:

argsmommy said...

This is what I try to remember on nights like that:

Psalm 4:8 "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."

Insert Joshua's name for "me" and it's a wonderful verse to remember that God is in control.

Kellie

Mrs. Edwards said...

The three-day vacation with your husband sounds heavenly!

I still have an occasional recurring dream that I showed up for my college calculus class only to discover that I missed three weeks of class and haven't turned in any of the assignments! I'm assuming that it is always the calc class in my dream because it was the most difficult of all my university courses--at least for me. I also have an odd dream that I'm showing up for a semester at university but I'm still married with children. In the dream I try to settle into a dorm room but miss my husband and kids.

Kellie's verse recommendation is a great one.

Sharon said...

Thank you so much for that verse, Kellie! We have been having some very disturbed nights lately, although by God's grace they have settled through lots of prayer (thanks Amy), but that is one verse I had not thought to pray. So thanks again; I think I will write a copy to leave on my bedside table until I have it memorised.

~ Sharon

Deborah said...

That is an awesome verse.